< 

Hacker's Diary

A rough account of what I did with Emacs recently.

January 9
Couple of days late, but we took the tree down. Step one: fetch the boxes from the attic. Step two: watch the cats fight over/with the boxes. Step 3: remove all decorations while Bonzo sits in Sphinx pose under the tree. Step 4: dismantle the tree while Bonzo sits in the box. Step 5: put the tree pieces into the box in some sort of order that will make rebuilding the tree next year easier, stopping only to remove both cats from the box filling up with tree parts. Step 6: put the boxes in the attic, ensuring no cats have climbed the ladder while I'm up there. Step 7: vacuum all the dropped glitter/tinsel I can see, acknowledging that in six months' time I'll still be finding bits of glitter and tinsel. Step 8: note that Bonzo has glitter on one cheek.


January 7
Other stuff that was in flight: dishwasher now fully integrated. It's maybe a few millimetres out of "perfect" alignment; the adjustable-height feet are at pretty much maximum extension and fitting the door panel (to its third dishwasher) is long past a job of driving screws into pristine MDF, so I'm a bit constrained in terms of how much adjustment I can do. The machine itself is really quiet now that it's tucked in under the counter and all the enclosed soundproofing has been added. One minor flaw in the installation is that there's a sort of rubber bib that fits onto the end of the door and goes inside the kickboard; this obscures the little red telltale that the machine shines on the floor to tell you it's running. I guess I can fix that with a penknife if I care enough.

RAID juggling is almost complete. The Synology now has 3x 4TB drives and 1x 2TB, and the only thing left on the Drobo is a stack of old backups. I'm in the process of moving those old backups to the Synology, but on my third or fourth attempt: I've variously run into problems with permissions and sparsebundle size, all of which I've now hopefully sorted out because it takes Finder about a week to count up all the files before telling you it's unhappy and won't be copying any of them. If it fails this time I'll probably use the same convoluted rsync command I wound up with for one of the other backups.

For the backups that have already been transferred, the main one (for the Mac I'm writing this on) is back in order, albeit still a little underperforming - I think it's managing to do every second hourly backup, and occasionally skips a few more. At this point I think this is a client problem rather than a server problem, and it's vastly improved over the previous performance which was "might back up this month, if you're lucky", so I'm not terrifically bothered. I still need to address the problem of having a few different TimeMachine backups for the same hardware, but that's going to be a good deal easier once all of said backups are parked on the Synology.

Finished Season 4 of Elementary; definitely still enjoying this, but the season finale across a few episodes wasn't great - I think they didn't quite know how to finish it, and what they decided on was somewhat telegraphed. Anyway. We still have a few seasons of this left.

January 5
Back to work yesterday so trying to get back into the swing of things. Of course, by "back to work" I mean "working from home".

My React hacking was interrupted by what seemed like a spurious problem introduced by brew update, but ultimately turned out to be "create-react-app or one of its constituents no longer like symlinked files"; it may have once liked them and developed a dislike, or it may never have liked them and this piece of code somehow worked anyway, but trying to figure out which left me sharply aware of how little I know about the ecosystem underlying create-react-app - essentially the whole Node.js stack and accompanying boondoggles.

previous month | current month


Waider
March 2020, S3E1